Here is another great idea for St. Patrick’s Day. I got this recipe from Bon Appetite Magazine. They have to marinate for several days, the longer they stay in the marinade the better. I think a mix of different sized green olives would be perfect for the holiday, but you could probably marinate a log in this mix and it would be really good and pretty!
* 4 cups assorted brine-cured olives (such as Kalamata, picholine, Lucques, and Niçoise), rinsed, drained
* 1 1/2 cups olive oil
* 6 fresh thyme sprigs
* 6 whole star anise
* 4 large garlic cloves, peeled, flattened
* 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
* 2 bay leaves
* 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
* 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, coarsely cracked
* 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Place olives a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in heavy medium saucepan; bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Pour oil mixture over olives. Cover and chill at least 3 days and up to 1 week.
Bring olives to room temperature. Using slotted spoon, transfer olives, herbs, and spices to serving bowl. Pour over enough oil from bowl to coat.